I suggest you ...

Allow profile / rules to be printed on separate pages

I Just would like the ability to have a clean print out, where parts of the Profile or Rules Summaries are not cut off in the middle.

179 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Luis shared this idea  ·   ·  Admin →
    completed  ·  AdminJon Taylor (Admin, BattleScribe) responded  · 

Page breaks are now supported on all platforms.

This does depend on the specific device and whether it properly handles the HTML page breaks.

On desktop, it is less reliable. You may have to save as HTML then print from a browser.

The latest versions are:
    - Android: 2.00.34
    - iOS: 2.00.21
    - Desktop: 2.00.17

13 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Alec DiAstra commented  · 

Yes, to print correctly on a PC you should save as HTML the print the HTML page from your browser. You can print to PDF from the HTML and get a nice digital copy with proper page breaks. Printing DIRECTLY from BS in PC will probably not ever have proper page breaks but HTML printing is an excellent solution for our purposes.

This works and has been tested on multiple platforms and browsers

@media print {
        div.battlescribe,
        div.battlescribe table {color: black;}
        div.battlescribe li.category,
        div.battlescribe div.force {page-break-after: always;}
        div.battlescribe li.rootselection,
        div.battlescribe table {page-break-inside: avoid;}
        div.battlescribe li.rootselection:first-child {page-break-inside: auto;}
        }

When will we see the pagebreak css? im on the alpha channel and its not there yet.

• belk commented  · 

Hi Jon, I've been adding this to the stylesheet of my HTML print-outs and then just giving each section container the page-break class. Prints out great on Chrome. Haven't tested on other browsers. See the CSS page-break-before property.

@media print {
        .page-break { display: block; page-break-before: always; }
        }

• pmerczel commented  · 

BTW, My previous @media.print suggestion
        Should be multi browser capable,
        also will break on Category (HQ, Troop, Elite, etc.), and avoid breaking within a unit if possible.
        It will allow multiple units in a single page if the info is small enough to fit more than 1 unit.
        Finally, it will change the text color to black, so it will be more readable on paper.

Enjoy.

• pmerczel commented  · 

Very funny, I just logged in to offer a suggestion for this printing issue. When I export the html, I'll edit the file and add the following to the bottom of the <style> tag. Must be at the bottom.

The following will in no way affect the display of the html. it will only tweak the print with appropriate page breaking.

@media print {
        div.battlescribe,
        div.battlescribe table {color: black;}
        div.battlescribe li.category,
        div.battlescribe div.force {page-break-after: always;}
        div.battlescribe li.rootselection,
        div.battlescribe table {page-break-inside: avoid;}
        div.battlescribe li.rootselection:first-child {page-break-inside: auto;}
        }

You are free to use this as you see fit.

Hope this helps...
        Peter

BTW, any questions, please don't hesitate to ask...

• Kim commented  · 

Me and my friend use a simple change to the CSS which has proven very stable.
        We simply change the CSS for "div.battlescribe li.rootselection" to add "page-break-after: always;"
        So far this has worked 100%. Tested over multiple browsers, OSes and printers.

It does however spread out the units with one pr. page, which we like, but others might find wasteful. So I would suggest making it a feature you could enable/disable in settings or a secondary HTML output option.

• Anonymous commented  · 

If its only possible with exactly one browser and no one else.. i just need to install that browser and its done. It doesnt have to work with all of them just one as long as we know which one

• Anonymous commented  · 

THIS is when i buy the app. Make it premium if you like. It is exactly what is holding me back right now

• Peter Walhagen commented  · 

It could be be done with encapsuling the page you want clean with

<p style="page-break-before: always">
        ... roster data ...
        </p>

This can be done manually by saving as html and modifying in a text editor. But would of course be preferably to have integrated in the software

• Anonymous commented  · 

This is really the only reason I wouldn't just pay outright for this software. Playing with the army lists doesn't help me much if I can't catalog them nicely for game day.

• Anonymous commented  · 

One solution I could see is funneling the output to a printing layout engine like LaTex which already has all the necessary computations done to handle nice page breaks if the file is marked up correctly.
        As an interim solution I'm planning on looking into using the xml output to do just this.

• Bruce Stephenson commented  · 

I think that would be a nightmare to implement, but in the mean time you can just copy/paste the preview window into Word or whatever, and manually add page breaks so things end up together correctly.

Feedback and Knowledge Base