I suggest you ...

Allow entry groups to have multiple default entries

When I select Captain for Space Marines rooster I allways have to adjust wargear (because Captain has too few selections from Weapons). It would be nice if we could mark default options in the Catalogue.

43 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Perimeter PicturesPerimeter Pictures shared this idea  ·   ·  Admin →
    under review  ·  Jon TaylorAdminJon Taylor (Admin, BattleScribe) responded  · 

Default weapons do work if the entry group is min 0/max 0. The problem at the moment is that if you want more than one default, there is no way to enter it. It would be good to allow a number of defaults up to the minimum selections of the entry group.

I will look into this in the future, but for now it does not have a high impact, so it’ll have to wait.

8 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  · 

There's a fairly simple workaround for this that I accidentally stumbled across: have the weapon entries that you want to be default set to a minimum of 1, then in the Entry Group that is referencing them, use a modifier to set their mins to 0.

Example:

<Entry>Boltgun (min 1/max 1)</Entry>
        <Entry>Bolt Pistol (min 1/max 1)</Entry>
        <Entry>Plasma Pistol (min 0/max 1)</Entry>

<Entry Group>Weapons (min 2/max 2)
        <Link to Entry>Boltgun
        <Modifier>set min to 0</Modifier>
        </Link>
        <Link to Entry>Bolt Pistol
        <Modifier>set min to 0</Modifier>
        </Link>
        <Link to Entry>Plasma Pistol</Link>
        </Entry Group>

The above example will create the unit with a Boltgun and Bolt Pistol automatically selected, while still allowing the user to switch either for a Plasma Pistol.

• DannyBoy2kDannyBoy2k commented  · 

I'd REALLY like to see more than one default in a group. As an example, a Dark Angels HQ-choice have 2 default weapons, and then a whole HOST of possible replacements, in any and all combinations you can think of. Being able to set two defaults, and then setting the rest to a maximum of two would make things MUCH easier, particularly as these things affect stats in various ways.

• Bruce StephensonBruce Stephenson commented  · 

Simple solution in the catalog itself. Make each 'default' option min 1, and then add a modifier of -1 min selections to it. It will start selected, and then be removable/swapable. Leave the actual group default blank.

• Mike MaydayMike Mayday commented  · 

I've recently started using BS for my CSM and I must say this is a big problem, because to allow for full Champion configurability, I can't use the method Edward described. Which means I have to start with 3 bolters for every champion and manually edit every one champion, even if I just want the default set. I'd much appreciate being able to freely choose a default loadout.

• TimTim commented  · 

This would be a big help for users of the Android version, as drilling down into levels of options can get tedious. A feature like this could practically HALF the amount of time it takes a user to fully create a Roster.

All this would require would be a an XML attribute for a Catalog entry called "default" (or something similar). When a Roster Editor user selects an item that has that attribute, the Roster Editor would automatically select that item. Battlescribe already allows users to select any number of checkbox items, so there wouldn't need to be any error-checking logic beyond that which already exists.

• EdwardEdward commented  · 

This can be worked around to some extent by designing the catalogue in a different way. For example in the 'Sisters of Battle' catalogue I added 'Weapon 1' and 'Weapon 2' sections to each of the characters, with most of the entries being a copy-and-paste, and a default selected from each. The downside is that the user has two almost identical radio-button lists to choose from.

• Perimeter PicturesPerimeter Pictures commented  · 

I forgot to mention that this is because some units have more than one weapon choice by default (like pistol and close combat weapon), so current 'default selection' can not be used.

• Perimeter PicturesPerimeter Pictures commented  · 

In v1.08b I made 'default' options min(1) max(1) with modifier which made them min(0) again (so they were allways selected at start).
        As of v1.09b my solution does not work anymore :(

Feedback and Knowledge Base