I suggest you ...

Allow position of entries to be defined

At the moment, entries are sorted alphanumerically. I think it would be useful to allow the data file author to define exactly the order in which entries are listed. If no order is defined, then it can default back to the alphanumeric order.

170 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    CheexstaCheexsta shared this idea  ·   ·  Admin →
    under review  ·  Jon TaylorAdminJon Taylor (Admin, BattleScribe) responded  · 

Initially I thought this would be a problem to implement – should a data file author dictate to a user what order the entries appear?

Thinking more about it however, I think the solution here is to let the user decide. Instead of the data file author rearranging the entries in the data files, I think it would be better to allow the user to rearrange the selections in their list.

11 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • DannyBoy2kDannyBoy2k commented  · 

"should a data file author dictate to a user what order the entries appear?"
        Yes, he should! The entries should appear in the same order as they appear in army books, codexes, what-have-you, as well as in the order that makes internal sense to the author. If the user doesn't LIKE that order, well then, suggest he makes his OWN data file.

• Anonymous commented  · 

I was hoping for the option to arrange the entries in my roster manually as well - drag and drop would be ideal, but a move up / move down option would do too.

• Bruce StephensonBruce Stephenson commented  · 

As it is, I have been doing this manually by adding spaces at the beginning of an entry. For some reason the output ignores the leading spaces, so it doesn't change the view at all, but when it alphabetizes it sorts the spaces before the rest. I just put 2 spaces for Sargent types, 1 for basic models and none for wargear, and it sorts much better.

• Bruce StephensonBruce Stephenson commented  · 

Adding a "ranking" value for each entry would allow easy custom ordering. All models start with a 0, all upgraded weapons start with a 1, all default wargear starts with a 2, etc. and then it can "sort" by the ranking rather than alpha by name. Might be easier than creating a folder system.

• Arven RauthArven Rauth commented  · 

this +1000 I'd love to be able to group my units with their transport, gun with their tows and have HQ's up the top etc.

• BlakBatBlakBat commented  · 

What about being able to create folders?
        eg. By creating a HQ folder, I can store all my HQ entries in the HQ folder.
        It would just help organisation of shared entries, rules, etc... and root entries

• Boss ArdnutzBoss Ardnutz commented  · 

It would be good if at least within a unit, entries marked as "model" type would show before entries marked as "upgrade". Currently if you have entry "Marine Squad (unit)" with sub-entries "Marine with rifle (model)", "Marine with SMG (model)", "Frag grenades (upgrade)", and "Melta bombs (upgrade)", in the roster it will show up as "Marine squad" on one line, and "Frag grenades, 9 x Marine with rifle, 1 x Marine with SMG, Melta bombs" on the next line. Preferable would be to list the model entries first, so "Marine Squad" on one line with "9 x Marine with rifle, 1 x Marine with SMG, Frag grenades, Melta bombs" on the next.

• Jon TaylorAdminJon Taylor (Admin, BattleScribe) commented  · 

Ah I see, not just the actual available units. OK I can see that being a lot more useful - maybe you want to group all the weapon choices together or something. Sounds good. I'll certainly be looking into this at some point :)

• TimTim commented  · 

That's a nice idea for the List tree and for the output of of the List, but for the selection widgets of the Roster Editor, it would be nice if the catalog file author had control over how and where items appeared.

• TimTim commented  · 

The more I edit catalog files, the more I wish this were possible. Both the Roster Editor and its output files would look much nicer and more polished if this were implemented.

Feedback and Knowledge Base